Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love, Actually


So, it's Valentine's Day. Hmm. I'm not exactly a fan. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I still check the "single" box. I feel about V-Day the same way I feel about New Year's Eve. It's one of those holidays that seems forced.

Can this be true? Is it right for someone who writes romance novels to not be a fan of Valentine's Day? :) Well, let me make a confession...I didn't set out to write romance novels. It just sort of happened. Somewhere along the way, I started to realize...every story is a love story. Sure, they might be disguised as suspense. Or mystery. Or fantasy. But more often than not, there is a love element in there. Sometimes it isn't romantic love. But love, nevertheless. Which is how I came to write about love. Because that seems to be the central theme in our lives when you strip everything else away.

So that gets me to thinking about L-O-V-E. So many different kinds of love. Such a tiny little word with so many different meanings...

I love God. And my family. And my dogs. And my new Prada purse. I love sleeping in. And my friends. And Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks. I love clean sheets. And my DVR. And when I write "the end" and hit send. I love college football. And hot summer days. And being snowed in.

And I don't love any of those things in exactly the same way.

So, even though I'm single--and from what I'm seeing on Facebook and Twitter, single people are supposed to resent being reminded of love today--well I don't! Love is wonderful. Love is powerful. I may not have romantic love in my life right now (anyone know any nice, normal, single guys? haha!) but I have lots of love in my life. And, as any good romance heroine, I have the hope that true love is right around the corner.

So no matter what box you check today, I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day, celebrating the love that is in your life!

Song of the day...The Power of Love by Huey Lewis--I thought it was fitting!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails