Thursday, July 23, 2009

First Day in DC!

Whew! My first day in DC is coming to an end...mainly because I'm about to collapse into bed, not because the day is actually over.

First of all, I did not get much sleep last night. Not only did it take me forever to pack (trying to find outfits that don't scream "I am a tourist and have no idea where I'm going" but yet also say "I am prepared to comfortably walk 5+ miles in any weather" can be a difficult task) but then once I was finally in bed, I was too excited to sleep. And maybe a little nervous about flying.

Let me pause here to say I could do an entire blog SERIES about my irrational fear of flying. I is safer than a car, blah, blah, blah. I can't help it though. The older I've gotten, the more chicken I've become. (I did jump off a mountain once, but I was 21 and didn't know any better)

Anyway, my very sweet mother (who came to my house yesterday to help me get ready for my trip and is dog sitting for me while I'm away) took me to the airport bright and early this morning. And wouldn't you know--the flight was fine. :) A little bumpy but I didn't have too many panic-laden moments. And as we were flying into DC, we flew RIGHT BY the Washington Monument. I was so excited! I'm loving writing Love is Monumental, and I think being able to spend some time here is going to make the book much more authentic.

After I collected my checked bag (which cost $15 dollars to check--what a crime!) I set out for the Metro. I'd considered a cab, but decided taking the Metro would be better for research purposes. :) Got to my stop and found my hotel with no problem. Lovely hotel.

I grabbed lunch (and waited out a rainstorm) and then set out for Ford's Theatre. I had a reservation there for the museum and ranger program. (it was a good thing I'd planned ahead, because they were out of tickets if you hadn't gotten them in advance) The museum just opened earlier this month. Very interesting. I will post photos soon... Ranger program was good. I learned lots of interesting things about the assassination of Abe Lincoln. Those of you who know me well know that this kind of thing is right up my alley.

I left the theatre and walked to the National Archives. Passed the FBI building along the way. I've always had a secret dream of working there. :)

The line at the archives was brutal and it was hot outside! Finally made it in and seriously think this was one of the neatest places I've ever been! All those historical documents, photos, recordings, etc. Just cool! Especially if you love history as much as I do.

Don't judge me, but I didn't wait in the hour+ long line to view the Declaration of Independence. By that point, I just couldn't wait in another line. I did see the Magna Carta though. And a petition from the 1830's meant to keep Arkansas from becoming a state. Seriously!

It began to rain as I left the Archives. First just a little sprinkle--my new umbrella was perfect. And then the bottom fell out! There isn't an umbrella in the world that would keep a person dry in that kind of weather. I was drenched by the time I made it back to my hotel. My new umbrella sprang a leak too.

And now, I'm in the hotel restaurant, eating a yummy BLT. Looking forward to a hot shower, a good night's sleep and then...a BUSY day tomorrow! I have to be at the Capitol Building by 8:15 a.m. (that is 7:15 my time...ugh!)

1 comment:

Christine Lynxwiler said...

What a wonderful post. I felt like I'd been with you today. (Except my hair isn't even damp.) Seriously, I'm so excited that you're getting a chance to do some last minute research and I agree that it will make the wonderful book even better! Have fun!


Related Posts with Thumbnails