Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009, you were a good year...


I've never been one to go out and celebrate on New Year's Eve. I remember in 1999, when everyone I knew (seriously, every single person) was doing something big to ring in 2000, I opted to stay home. With 2 great movies (Shakespeare in Love and Sliding Doors--and I know it is weird that I remember which movies, but I can't help it, I remember lots of unimportant details) and a Domino's Pizza (thin crust cheese).

And lots of people called me right before midnight to try and get me to say I was sorry for not agreeing to go out, but I was happy where I was.

For me, the turning over of a new year is more of a reflective time. I don't like the forced cheerfulness and the over-emphasis on having the best time of your life. If that's your thing, then by all means, enjoy, but the best time of my life isn't going to happen at some party or random club at 11:59 on December 31.

I probably sounds like an old stick in the mud. :)

Some might call me crazy for wanting to hold on to 2009 for as long as possible, but I want to squeeze each and every second of it. Big things happened to me in 2009. It was a fantastic year!

Just a few highlights:
  • Holding copies of my first two books in my hand for the first time.

  • Seeing those books in stores for the first time. I still have to fight the urge to take pictures of them on the shelf (and usually end up caving and photographing).

  • Traveling to Washington D.C. and the Grand Canyon for research; traveling to Denver for a writing conference; traveling to Charm, Ohio, for a book signing.

  • Book signings: I participated in 6 signings this year!

  • Hearing from readers who enjoyed the books! This came in the form of letters, e-mails and reviews.

  • Along those lines, one of the biggest blessings of 2009 was meeting so many wonderful people--fellow authors and readers. You guys rock!

I'm hopeful that 2010 will be just as wonderful! These aren't necessarily resolutions, but here are a few things I hope to accomplish in the new year:

  • Get a new book contracted. Or a new series. :)

  • Become reacquainted with my old friend, the gym! It's been far too long.

  • Change my diet. I am ashamed of how unhealthy my eating habits are. If I could just add some fruits and veggies I'd be happy.

  • Come up with fantastic marketing for my May and October releases.

  • Go on a trip that is in no way related to books, research or work. In other words, take a vacation!

  • Get rid of a lot of "stuff"--I have way too much and want to downsize. Maybe I'll never really be a minimalist, but I can try!

  • Finally figure out how to balance life, work and writing. I'm afraid this might mean adjusting my schedule to where I get up early and go to bed at a decent hour...

Okay, I could go on and on, but will stop. Perhaps I should do a mid-year check on these goals to see how I'm doing!

No matter how you choose to ring in 2010, I hope it is wonderful!

Song of the week...my favorite version of Auld Lang Syne by Mairi Campbell & Dave Francis.







2 comments:

Betsy said...

I just read your book Love Is A Battlefield....I could barely put it down....I anxiously await the next book in the series....Have a Happy New Year...

A New Fan,
Betsy

Annalisa Daughety said...

Betsy,

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Hope your New Year is off to a great start!

Powered By Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails