Thursday, January 1, 2009

All New and Fresh and Shiny...

Welcome to 2009!

The beginning of a new year is always daunting to me. So many things I want to do, so many things I want to reflect on. . . where to start?

First:

2008 was a good year because...

job i love
book contract
old friends
new friends
new city
and the list could go on

But rather than bore you with a highlight reel of my 2008 I will instead tell you what I hope for 2009.

Some are sort of resolution-like, others are just plans.

1. Finish book #1 (okay, this is sort of unfair since it is almost finished and is due on Monday--but it will feel good to check it off the list)

2. Finish books #2 and #3 (whew! I am finding that writing is an emotional experience. Never really realized that until recently. So this means I am likely to be an emotional basket case for much of 2009...haha!)

3. I have a HUGE list of books I want to read. I have a confession. I've never read Jane Austen. Not a single page of anything she wrote. So at the top of my list, once I've turned in my book on Monday, is to read Jane Austen.

4. I'm going to get serious about becoming a homeowner. Yep. It's about that time. I'm nearly a grown-up, after all.

5. I want to run in 2 5Ks this year. I completed one in 2008--so I'd like to double that in 2009.

6. I want to have less stuff in 2009. I'm due for a big old yard sale. And then...the stuff that goes away won't be replaced. This includes shoes, jeans and dresses. I seem to have a problem with those 3 items. I buy them in bulk.

7. Travel. It has been eons since I've been on vacation. So 2009 is the year of the trip. Plane, train, or automobile--I don't care. Have baggage, will travel.

8. In 2009, I will get out of my comfort zone a little more. Try some new things. Meet some new people. Really, I will.

9. I will cook more. Hopefully while wearing vintage aprons (which are what I want for my upcoming birthday). And when I cook, I will invite other people over to enjoy it. (see #8)

10. Finally, but also most importantly, I will be a better student of God's word in 2009. My faith needs sharpening and there is no better time to start than today.

Okay, there are some of mine. How about you? Anything in particular you hope to do in 2009?

And because I simply couldn't resist, the song of the day is a beautiful version of Auld Lang Syne.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Rachel Hauck said...

Great list. And I think you mean bookS contract in '08.

Yes, writing is so very emotional. I didn't realize it either until about my second book. Not just the doubt and fear about being able to write a good book, but the emotional mining that goes on to create characters that live on the page. Showing verses telling takes it out of you. I was so drained when I turned in my book rewrite before Christmas.

Anyway, I'm so excited for you! If you feel like traveling to Florida... My door is always open.

Rachel

Powered By Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails